IRC channel logs


back to list of logs

<civodul>Hello Guix!
<alezost>civodul: Hello, is it ok that "package-inputs" does not always look like this: (("package-name" <package>)...)? I can see (("name" . (some-list-of-things))) constructs for some inputs
<civodul>alezost: each input is either ("name" pkg) or ("name" pkg output)
<civodul>where 'output' is a string denoting an output of the given package
<civodul>info "(guix) Packages with Multiple Outputs"
<alezost>civodul: hm, I see something different here: (package-inputs (cadr (find-packages-by-name "gcc" "4.8.3")))
<alezost>civodul: here is the result for me:
<civodul>ah yes
<civodul>what surprises you is the #<origin> thing?
<civodul>(BTW, you should use 'match' rather than 'cadr' & co.)
<alezost>civodul: ok, I just wanted to be sure that not only a package definition is allowed to be placed there
<civodul>to be precise it can be either a package, an origin, or a file name
<civodul>do you want to expose that info in the UI?
<alezost>yes, there will be "Inputs: foo-2, bar-3, ..." where "foo-2" and "bar-3" are buttons, but I'm not sure what to do with origins yet
<alezost>I mean pressing those buttons will fetching information about foo-2 or bar-3 package. I think I'll just skip non-package things for now
<civodul>yes, that's probably the best thing to do
<civodul>but don't display the 'name' part of inputs
<civodul>because probably the inputs field will eventually become just: (list pkg1 pkg2)
<civodul>so you're using Geiser?
<alezost>civodul: oh yes, i don't use name parts, I take full-name from each package input, and yes, I'm using Geiser
<civodul>this is weird: guix-devel is getting emails from several days ago
<jmd>How do we specify urls which have characters such as & and ? in them?
<civodul>jmd: the normal way; in addition, the origin can have a 'file-name' field if you want to avoid the default file name (which would contain question marks etc.)
<jmd>civodul: Thanks.
<jmd>the file-name can be arbitrary?
<civodul>it must not contain things like /, ?, & etc.
<civodul>but otherwise yes
<jmd>ok. I will use (file-name name)
<civodul>maybe tar won't do the right thing if it doesn't end in tar.gz, say
<jmd>Seems to be ok
<jmd>The file name always ends in .drv
<civodul>that's the derivation, yes
<civodul>but the output doesn't end in .drv
<jmd>Well anyway it seems to unpack ok.
<bavier>I'm working on upgrading texlive
<civodul>bavier: cool!
<civodul>i haven't looked at the GLib commits, but it does fix things on i686, right?
<bavier>it should, yes
<bavier>will hydra build from that branch again?
<civodul>ah i need to re-enable it
<civodul>hopefully it'll pick it up within a few minutes
<mark_weaver>hello guix!
<mark_weaver>civodul: I haven't been using the Loongson 3A machine much. I'm thinking of making it a build machine for hydra.
<mark_weaver>civodul: what do I need to do to make that happen?
<davexunit>hey mark_weaver
<mark_weaver>fwiw, I successfully built all of the packages in my personal profile on MIPS, on very recent master.
<mark_weaver>hi davexunit! :)
<davexunit>welcome back!
<mark_weaver>thanks for all of the packaging work you've been doing! I especially appreciate notmuch. I'd like to try that out sometime soonish :)
<davexunit>mark_weaver: I couldn't get notmuch's test suite to pass, but I tried a few simple searches at the CLI and they worked, so I hope things are okay
<mark_weaver>sounds good. at some point I might poke at it.
<davexunit>cool. :)
<davexunit>re MIPS: I saw a lot of failed MIPS builds on hydra
<davexunit>I'm sure you and civodul are well aware, I just don't know for what reason they're failing.
<mark_weaver>I vaguely remember civodul saying that the MIPS build slave was offline, but maybe that's out of date.
<davexunit>I was suspecting that.
<mark_weaver>and of course, there are several packages that don't currently work on MIPS.
<davexunit>since it was *every* job
<davexunit>yeah, I want to start digging into issues with ARM in the hopes that when my Novena arrives (decemeber, if on schedule) I can try to run guix on it.
<mark_weaver>davexunit: yes, I'll want to do the same.
<mark_weaver>davexunit: btw, needs an update I think, no?
<davexunit>mark_weaver: yes it does. our newest sysadmin isn't on the page either, and nico is leaving.
<davexunit>I'm technically still on a probation period.
<davexunit>so I will be added to the staff page in a month or so, provided I'm not fired. ;)
<mark_weaver>ah, okay, that makes sense.
<mark_weaver>my enthusiasm for MIPS is somewhat lessened by (1) the fact that Lemote is no longer producing computers that can be used with 100% free software, and (2) the emergence of Novena.
<davexunit>yeah, 1 is a bummer.
<mark_weaver>hopefully they'll come around on that. apparently the head of Lemote told RMS that they would try to make another libre-compatible machine in the future, but I don't know how much that means.
<mark_weaver>well, that's based on a vague memory of something Zak told me at GNU30.
<davexunit>RMS is switching to a thinkpad x60 currently
<mark_weaver>ah, interesting
<davexunit>I guess we'll see how the lemote situation evolves
<davexunit>I heard rumor of him wanting to use a novena, but I have no sources to back that up.
<davexunit>I haven't met RMS proper yet. he was here a couple weeks ago, but he was busy working on something and we were all busy working on mailing the newsletter.
<davexunit>I'm excited for the novena. I couldn't find a definitive list of which pieces of hardware still required nonfree drivers or firmware.
<davexunit>the GPU currently requires nonfree drivers, but that's being worked on.
<mark_weaver>afaik, the only parts that require non-free software to use are: 3D graphics acceleration (optional), and compiling new designs for the FPGA.
<mark_weaver>so the machine can be used with 100% free software. and yeah, they are working on the GPU drivers.
<davexunit>I was very happy when the stretch goal for free GPU drivers was met.
<mark_weaver>there's a pre-existing project to develop a free driver for that GPU, and the crowd-funding campaign made their stretch goal to fund work on that.
<mark_weaver>heh, I typed that before I saw your last message :)
<mark_weaver>did you get the bare board, or one of the system-level things?
<davexunit>I got the all-in-one version with the case and LCD screen.
<mark_weaver>ah, cool. I couldn't afford that, and wanted a different screen and case anyway, so I just got the bare board. I'm going to have to make my own case.
<davexunit>the laptop stuff was cool, but I didn't think it was worth the money.
<mark_weaver>a project for this fall...
<mark_weaver>I forgot, does that mean you'll get the software defined radio board ?
<mark_weaver>ooooh, nice :)
<davexunit>I'm pretty sure, anyway.
<mark_weaver>I'll have to buy that separately.
<davexunit>I was thinking of making my own case, but I'm not very handy with that stuff.
<davexunit>I'm building my own arcade-style joystick controller, and I haven't yet built the case. the parts are assembled in a shoe box for now.
<davexunit>but so far I've learned how to solder and modify the firmware for the microcontroller.
<davexunit>I can't decide between a wood case or acylic.
<civodul>arrgh, too late
<civodul>sneek: later tell mark_weaver re adding a MIPS build machine, we can discuss that, but basically it boils down to allowing to access the machine over SSH, and that machine must have Guix installed
<sneek>Got it.
<civodul>davexunit: so you have your Novena already?
<davexunit>civodul: no, hopefully I'll get it in december.
<davexunit>but I want to investigate ARM support for guix before that. I have my little raspberry pi to work with in the meantime.
<civodul>oh ok
<civodul>that'd be great
<davexunit>I think it would it be cool to have a guix image ready to rock for the big novena shipment.
<civodul>oh yeah, definitely
<civodul>the only issue is that people typically don't use GRUB on ARM
<civodul>so that'd mean adding u-boot support
<civodul>or something like that
<davexunit>I see. well hopefully we can drum up some more interested people to help with the work. :)
<civodul>yep :-)
<civodul>oh GRUB supports the Lemote Yeeloong:
<civodul>didn't know that
<civodul>big bucks working on GRUB-on-ARM:
<davexunit>cool, some work being done
<civodul>davexunit: maybe we could put a news entry about your Codefest talk, WDYT?
<davexunit>sure! I still need to upload my slides.
<davexunit>want me to add the entry or will you?
<davexunit>still at work, so I can't do it now.
<civodul>you can add it (on Savannah), and i think i'll have to approve it afterwards
<civodul>but yeah, let me know when you're ready, and i'll click on the thing ;-)
<davexunit>sure thing
<bavier>glib on i686 looks good ;)
<civodul>yay, cool!
<civodul>so hopefully we can merge that branch tomorrow or so
<davexunit>civodul: does this need any details besides the fact that I gave a talk?
<civodul>whatever you feel is relevant
<civodul>i'd say a bit of context and a link to the slides, something like that
<davexunit>okay. I'll wait until I have the slides uploaded to post this. thanks.
<civodul>bavier: thanks for the TeX Live upgrade, BTW
<davexunit>hello again #guix